Thursday, July 24, 2014

pear crisp

Want to hear something crazy? I haven't baked anything since I've been back from New York.. until now.

Two nights ago, after getting home late from work, I decided to skip sleep and test-bake instead. Of course, I then proceeded to eat the warm pear crisp.. right out of the oven.. at midnight. The next morning, I opened the refrigerator and devoured a couple spoonfuls and it was just as delicious. Seriously, all of that happened.

Welcome to the blog, Pear Crisp. I also recommed throwing a pillow of french vanilla ice cream on top while it's still warm to make it extra amazing. My local taste-testers approve of this recipe. So, if you hate it, blame them. But I feel pretty confident that you will enjoy this.


Pear Crisp
Yields one 10-inch skillet

INGREDIENTS
Filling
4 large pears, peeled and sliced (about 1/2-inch thickness or so)
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour

Topping
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, add all the filling ingredients. With a large spoon, toss everything together well. Set aside.
3. In another medium mixing bowl, stir together all topping ingredients together except for the melted unsalted butter. 
4. Then add the melted unsalted butter to dry topping mixture. Gently combine well. Break up into crumble pieces-- keep large or break up as small as you like.
5. In a round 10-inch cast-iron skillet (or about the same size baking dish), distribute pear filling mixture into an even layer. 



6. Then add crumb mixture and spread it out on top of the filling.



7. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Then transfer to the top rack for an additional 10 minutes.
8. Serve warm.. preferably a la mode. 



I used pears that were just under-ripened, because they mimic the firmness of apples and hold up better during the baking process. Slicing the pears fairly thick also results in a nice bite. I'm not a fan of a mushy fruit consistency. If you are, just slice your fruit thinner.

This may have been my first attempt at making a crisp, but it's definitely a new favorite. I used pears because I happened to have a 10-pound bag haunting my kitchen. However, you can substitute with apples, peaches, berries, or any other fruit of your liking. 

I'm in love. Pear crisp is like apple pie's cousin, except a million times easier to make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment