Today was Game 3 of the NBA Finals. I was sitting back, relaxing, and watching the Spurs come back from a disappointing Game 2. Halfway through the 2nd quarter, I realized I was missing something kind of important. Snacks. Not having anything to munch on at tip-off is seriously unacceptable in my book. But, during halftime, I was able to conjure up a quick batch of chocolate popcorn. Sweet sweet victory-- the outcome of the game and my amazing skills in pulling this off.
Popcorn is the perfect gametime snack, but the choco coating really makes this a treat. This chocolate popcorn is crunchy, not overly sweet, and so insanely addicting. Yes, I ate this whole bowl below in less than 3 minutes.. And then proceeded to go back for seconds. This was my dinner, by the way. But it's totally fine because I made sure to floss afterwards. Best Tuesday ever.
Yields 8 Cups
8 cups popped popcorn (1/3 cup unpopped kernels)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder, sifted
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place popped popcorn into a large bowl.
3. In a saucepan on medium high, heat butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and light corn syrup. Stir with a wooden spoon and combine ingredients well.
4. Continue heating and stirring gently until mixture boils. Allow to boil for about 2 minutes, and then remove from heat.
5. Off the heat, stir in vanilla extract.
6. Pour mixture over popped popcorn. Carefully use wooden spoon to help coat all the popcorn with the chocolate mixture.
7. Dump coated popcorn onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, stirring at each 10-minute interval.
8. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes. While the popcorn is still somewhat warm, break apart into pieces or clusters.
9. Serve or store in an airtight container.