I don't even care that Martha Stewart went to jail. I freakin love her.. and her kitchen. Anyway, I've been storing a MS lemon sugar cookie recipe on my Pinterest recipe board for forever. I didn't have lemons. Not to worry, I know how to improvise. These are so chewy and good. Honor my girl, Martha, and make these right away.
Key Lime Sugar Cookies
Adapted from Martha Steward Living
Yields about 3 dozen cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), softened
1 3/4 cups white granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 Tablespoon finely grated key lime zest
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed key lime juice
2 large eggs
coarse sparkling sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients-- flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter on medium speed for about 1 minute until even consistency. Add white granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and lime zest. Beat until pale and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl and paddle with a spatula and beat for 1-2 more minutes.
4. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Then beat in the lime juice. Scrape down the bowl and paddle, and beat again until even consistency.
5. On the stir speed, add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Stir only until everything is just incorporated.
6. Use a spoon or a small ice cream scoop to portion out 1 to 1 1/2-inch rounded balls. Roll each dough ball in sparkling sugar, then place onto parchment-lined baking sheet. Make sure they are space about 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
7. Bake for 7 minutes. Rotate baking sheet. Then bake for an additional 8 minutes.
8. Remove baking sheet from oven. Allow cookies to cool directly on the baking sheet for at least 2-3 minutes. Then with a spatula, transfer cookies to wire cooling rack.
9. Eat, share, save for later.